Please note: This feature is only available on select plans or add-ons and can be accessed on inFlow Cloud for Windows.
You can use the bill of materials and work order features to create kits and build finished products from raw materials. Be sure to have all of your raw materials and finished goods created as Products in inFlow.
- Creating a Bill of Materials
- Creating work orders
Bill of Materials
Before you can create a kit or finished product, you must first set up a bill of materials. At the moment this feature is only available in inFlow Cloud for Windows.
To set up your product’s bill of materials:
- Open the product record for your finished/assembled product.
- Click the Bill of Materials tab.
- Select the various components of this item and their quantities (to make 1 finished product) in this tab.
- Click the Save button when done.
Once you’ve set up your BOM you may move on to creating a work order to build / assemble the finished good. You can create a work order directly from the Bill of Materials tab, by clicking Manufacture at the bottom left of the screen.
How many finished goods can I make?
If you want to check how many products you can assemble from the inventory you have on hand, click on the How many can I build? link below the Manufacture button. This will load a second Manufacture button below with a number below for how many you can build. If you’d like to build the maximum amount listed, then click on the yellow Manufacture button.
What bill of materials is this part used in?
If you’d like to see a full list of all the bill of materials that your component parts/raw materials are used for, then click the link next to the Manufacture button.
For example if a part is used in 3 bill of materials, click on the link that says 3 BOMs use this component.
Creating work orders
Work orders don’t need a bill of materials to be setup first. You can also assemble finished products from a blank work order too.
- Go to Main Menu > Inventory > Work Order.
- Click the Add button below the Components Structure section.
- Choose your finished product, and how many of that product you need to create.
- Click OK. You can print a Work Order document or a Work Order Pick List from here if you like.
- If you have enough components in stock, click Complete Order.
Note: inFlow will not complete your work order if you do not have enough components in stock. Right-click on the red exclamation marks (not enough stock icons) and click Reorder stock to quickly generate a reordering for your items.
If you prefer, instead of clicking the Complete Order button, you can also click the Pick tab at the bottom and manually pick the components, and then click the Put Away tab to stock the finished product.
By completing the Work Order, the system will reduce the stock levels of your components and add stock to your finished product. From there you can sell the finished product in a sales order. You cannot sell the item in order to deduct components – your work order must be completed first.
Recalculate required components
Occasionally you may want to change the amount you’re making instead of the quantity you’ve set above. You can do this in the same order without having to cancel and re-do! See here for how to update quantities of your components on a work order.
Want to swap a component product?
If the product you’re creating already has a bill of materials set up, those component items will be listed below the finished product. You can also change component products by removing them and adding a new component to the list.
- Right click on the name of the finished product.
- Select Add Component Product.
- Start typing in the name of the product, or click into the drop down field to select the product.
- Enter the quantity you’d like to add to the work order, then click OK.