If your products don’t already have a stock keeping unit (SKU) assigned to them, inFlow can generate them for you. When enabled, inFlow will automatically generate new SKUs for products that lack them and will not overwrite any existing SKUs on your products.
To turn on automatic SKU generation:
- Log into inFlow as an administrator: app.inflowinventory.com
- Go to the Main menu > Options > Company settings.
- Under Barcodes & Stock keeping units (SKUs), select Generate.
- Toggle ON Automatically generate SKUs when saving or editing products.
- You can set a Prefix, Next number, and Suffix for inFlow to use when generating SKUs.
- Click Generate SKUs.
Once SKUs are enabled, inFlow will automatically fill in the SKU for any products that don’t already have one, and will generate a SKU for any new products you create going forward.
What if I also want to automatically generate barcodes?
inFlow can also automatically generate barcode numbers if your products don’t already have them. When both automatic barcode and sku generation is enabled, the barcode and SKU that inFlow generates for new products will be the same. You have two options on how to handle existing products that are missing either or both fields:
- Generate new codes for any empty fields: If one of the two fields is missing on an existing product, generate a new code for the empty field, leaving the existing field as is (barcode and sku will be different). If both barcode and SKU fields are missing, generate a new code and use it for both empty fields.
- Copy one from the other if it already exists: If one of the two fields is missing on an existing product, copy the existing code into the empty field so that both sku and barcode are the same. If both barcode and SKU fields are missing, generate a new code and use it for both empty fields.